Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Rocky Film Analysis


I really enjoyed watching this movie and what we learned in class about it. I myself enjoy sports films and motivating movies like this because sports is one of my passions and so anytime I can grab a good sports movie I feel like I will always enjoy it no matter what the story is behind it or what sport is may be about. I wanted to point out a few things I noticed in the movie according to the criteria given.

 Starting off with sound, I felt like this movie gives us a good idea of how sound can affect a movie and how it can help make a movie great and real. I felt like the music helped bring the atmosphere of Philadelphia and also helped set the mood and time frame for that period. To go into more detail of sound, I felt like a good example of diegetic sound was when you could hear the boxers and those who were in the gym working out hitting each other. That was sound that came straight from the scene or film and that's a good example of what diegetic sound is and I noticed that alot throughout the movie. Another part of sound is non diegetic sound which is the opposite of what I just explained. An example that I noticed from this movie was when Rocky was going out for his run and the music was playing as he was running and training for his fight. It kind of reminded me of when someone listens to music or think of a song when they are listening to music in their head, but in film they portray that through this process of non diegetic sound and I felt they did really well with it. The last one I would like to talk about regarding sound would be off screen sound. A moment that stood out to me with this one would be when Rocky is training by the train tracks and you can hear the rattling of the tracks and the train roll by as he is outside.

 The reason I feel like this movie did so well in the year 1976 because I feel like alot of people could connect and relate with this movie. Rocky didn't come from the best of standards and in a way was living in poverty. And I feel like it was very motivating in a way that the point of the movie or the theme was that Rocky didnt want to be a loser or feel unsuccessful. He wanted to come out on top in life and feel important. But he didn't necessarily have to win the fight to be successful or to reach that goal. He was able to get the girl that he wanted and be able to get his name out there which is how lots of people feel and want in their life, they dont have to be the winner or number 1 they just wanted to be noticed or recognized for what they do. So I feel like the success of this movie and the theme of it go hand in hand.

  A few save the cat moments that I felt were prett big and noticeable in this film were the first one is when Rocky is walking in the streets and he notices the girl hanging around the bad group of kids who are smoking, drinking and not being a good example. Although Rocky is a part of that and does all that stuff, he does his best to keep others including kids out of it. The moment when the guy attacks Adrian and is yelling at her and doing all these cruel things to her. Rocky stands up for her and brings the guy down and calms him down so he doesn't attack her even more.  It shows how much he cares and wants to protect her.

No comments:

Post a Comment