Monday, December 7, 2015

Dances with Wolves Analysis

From observing this movie I saw that the genre of this film was a western genre, there are a lot of obvious traits that prove that this movie is a western.. This movie is mainly about American Indian and how the main character learns more about them and their culture and how to become friends with them instead of enemies. So we get to see a lot of history regarding how the white people saw the Indians and what misconceptions that they had in their minds about them. There are alot of gunfights in this movie from beginning to end. The open landscapes that were shown throughout the movie give away that this is a western. Those are some of the main traits that I saw as we watched this movie.
 I felt like music was a really big key and had a huge impact on this movie. Like we talk about in class, the better the music the more interesting and intriguing the movie will be and it will grab your attention. I felt like the music in this movie helped you feel like you were in a western and it gave you that feeling of a cowboy or an Indian and set the mood for what it might have been like to be in the wide open landscapes of the west, the feeling of being around the Indians and their culture. I really enjoyed the music that they put into this film. A few examples that stick out to me is the different kinds of Indian music that they would dance to around the fire. They had different dances/types of music for different kinds of ceremonies or celebrations that they had. Like when they caught the people that took the fur off the buffalo. I thought that was very interesting to see that they actually had a celebration for that and that it meant something. It was like a they were throwing their own party. Another one that stuck out to me was the background music when they were out hunting buffalo, I thought it was really intense and just a fun score to put into their to make that scene great. And the last one that stuck with me was just the main score and song that they put throughout the movie that is replayed. I just think its a really smooth song and its a song that helps you know that this is from Dances with Wolves and reminds anybody that that was the theme song for this movie.
   My overall opinion of this movie is that I actually really enjoyed this film. This is one of the better films that I have seen. I thought the acting was really great, Kevin Costner is a really great actor and one of my favorites and I thought he did a good job in the role he played. I loved the acting and portrayal of the Indians in this movie and how well they did. I really enjoyed how they had them speak in their native tongue throughout the whole movie. I felt like it was very unique and great tool that they had. I felt myself learning more about the history and the discrimination that the Indians got and how disrespected they were. I felt like it gave us a good inside look of what it was like. I loved how they used Kevin Costner in this movie as a narrator as well and how he read off his journal entries and what happened throughout the day. It talked about how he felt and what his feelings and how his connection grew with the tribe that he was with. I felt like the reason why this movie won an Oscar is because the acting was great, the music was fantastic and used very well and it was very foreign in a way. This movie could have easily been a documentary and they could have just had some person go around and interview people and different tribes. But I feel like you can learn so much from this movie and it was exciting, adventurous, entertaining and had some great drama to it that you were able to see and feel what it was like back than between the whites and the indians.

No comments:

Post a Comment